Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the Eventbrite Card Reader?
- Can I use it on its own or with other apps?
- Where is it available?
- How do I use it to accept credit card payments?
- Which cards can I accept?
- Can I accept international cards?
- The credit card is not being recognized by the Card Reader. What do I do?
- The customer card was declined, what can I do?
- Can I accept payments without a Card Reader?
- How do I refund an order?
- What will the customer’s credit card statement show?
- Is the site secure?
- Are the Eventbrite Card Reader and the Neon app PCI compliant?
- How is information handled? What information does Eventbrite collect?
- Which apps does it work with?
- Which devices does it work with?
- Do I need a special data plan for my iPad?
- How much does shipping cost?
- How long will it take to arrive?
- I never received my Card Reader. What should I do?
1) About the Card Reader
What is the Eventbrite Card Reader?
The Eventbrite Card Reader is a small, encrypted credit and debit card reader that plugs directly into the 30-pin or 15-pin Lightning connector of the iPad. It’s specially designed to work only with Eventbrite’s Neon app for the iPad to process credit card transactions. You can download the free Eventbrite Neon app in the iTunes app store.
Can I use it on its own or with other apps?
No. The Eventbrite Card Reader was specially designed to work only with Eventbrite’s Neon app. You can download the free app in the iTunes App Store.
Where is it available?
The Eventbrite Card Reader is currently available only in the U.S. We’re exploring options to make it available internationally.
2) Costs and Fees
How much does it cost?
The Eventbrite Card Reader costs $10, plus shipping (See How much does shipping cost?). For a limited time, we’ll issue a $10 promotional credit to your Eventbrite account when you purchase an Eventbrite Card Reader. This credit is limited to one per Eventbrite account, regardless of how many Eventbrite Card Readers you purchase. See Terms & Conditions of this offer.
Are there any fees?
We currently don’t charge an Eventbrite service fee for payments processed with the Eventbrite Card Reader or the Neon app. However, there’s a 3% processing fee that applies to all credit and debit card transactions.
How do I get the Eventbrite promotional credit?
For a limited time, we’re offering a $10 promotional credit to your Eventbrite account when you purchase an Eventbrite Card Reader. Please review the Credit Terms & Conditions below.
If you’re an existing Eventbrite organizer, upon receipt of the Card Reader...
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your Eventbrite account email address and the Reader’s serial number (found next to the connector, labeled “S/N:”). We’ll apply your credit within 5 business days and you’ll see the credit here: https://www.eventbrite.com/charges.
If your Eventbrite account has multi-user access enabled, make sure to send us the main admin email address on your account so we can apply your credit.
If you’re new to Eventbrite...
Simply go to http://eventbrite.com/neonreader and sign up for an account! The credit will be applied to your account automatically.
Credit Terms and Conditions
Only purchases of Eventbrite Card Readers made between Oct 1, 2013 and December 31, 2015 (the "Promotion Period") are eligible. Credits are limited to one per Eventbrite account regardless of the number of Eventbrite Card Readers purchased. Redemption requests must be received by the end of the Promotion Period or the credit will expire and become void. This card has no cash value and may be redeemed only for an Eventbrite credit as described herein. Credits may not be redeemed for cash or any other consideration other than a credit against Eventbrite fees owed under an Eventbrite account. This promotional offer is void where prohibited by applicable law.
3) Accepting Payments
How do I use it to accept credit card payments?
Open the Neon app on your iPad and sign in to your Eventbrite account. Insert the Eventbrite Card Reader into your iPad. Select the event name, then tap the ticket buttons to add those ticket types to the cart. Once you have the correct number of each ticket type in the cart, tap “Credit” and then simply swipe the credit card through the Eventbrite Card Reader whenever you’re ready. You can also accept cash payments or key in credit card information if a credit card is having issues being read.
Need help setting up your tickets at the door? Check out this tutorial.
Which cards can I accept?
The Eventbrite Card Reader works with any US-issued and most non-US-issued credit, debit and prepaid or gift cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover logo. However, we can only process non-US-issued cards if they are swiped through the Card Reader, not if they’re manually entered using the on-screen numeric keypad.
Can I accept international cards?
Yes. We can process non-US-issued cards with a Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover logo if they are swiped through the Card Reader. We can’t officially process non-US-issued cards manually entered using the on-screen numeric keypad.
If you would like to process payments from non-US-issued cards, please take into consideration that the cardholder may be subject to currency conversion charges by their card issuer and that the transaction is subject to card-issuer approval.
The credit card is not being recognized by the Card Reader. What do I do?
Try swiping the credit card through the Card Reader quickly, in a single smooth motion, with the front of the credit card facing the side of the Card Reader with the Eventbrite logo. If you’re still having problems, please follow the troubleshooting tips below.
Another option is to accept cash or manually enter in the credit card information.
The customer card was declined, what can I do?
Please ask your customer to try a different credit card or pay with cash.
Can I accept payments without a Card Reader?
Yes. You can simply enter the credit card information manually or take cash.
How do I refund an order?
You can easily refund orders in the same way that Eventbrite’s online orders are refunded. You’ll need to log in to your Eventbrite account online and issue the refund there. Check out this tutorial to learn how.
What will the customer’s credit card statement show?
Your customer will see “EB”and the first 16 characters of the event title on their credit card statement.
4) Security and Compliance
Is the site secure?
Yes it is PCI-DSS 2.0 compliant. We take the security and privacy of personal data and other information seriously, both for our customers and yours.
Are the Eventbrite Card Reader and the Neon app PCI compliant?
Yes, they are PCI compliant. We never store sensitive credit card data on the Eventbrite Card Reader, the iPad, or in the Neon app. The Card Reader adheres to online banking industry protection standards to protect data during transmission using an https connection over SSL (Secure Socket Layer) at 128-bit encryption.
How is my customer’s information handled? What information does Eventbrite collect?
5) Supported Apps and Devices
Which apps does it work with?
The Eventbrite Card Reader is only available for Eventbrite’s Neon app. You can download the free Neon App in the iTunes App Store. We are looking to support Android devices in the future.
Which devices does it work with?
30-pin - iPad 2, 3. iPhone 4, 4s. Lightning - iPad Air, Mini, 4. iPhone 5, 5s, 6.
Do I need a special data plan for my iPad?
No. You can use a Wi-Fi enabled iPad or have a basic data plan in place.
6) Shipping and Timing
How much does shipping cost?
We offer 2 shipping options to send your Eventbrite Card Reader to you:
1. Overnight: $25.00, via Fedex Overnight. You should receive your package the following day if order was placed before 12pm PST.
2. Two days: $15.00, via FedEx 2Day. You should get your package by the afternoon of the 2nd business day after we ship it.
Please note that the above shipping times are estimates, and depend on FedEx. We'll ship your order within 2 business days of receiving your order. We only ship on weekdays - Monday through Friday.
How long will it take to arrive?
It depends on the shipping option you choose in the checkout process. If you choose:
1. Overnight: You should receive your package the following day if order was placed before 12pm PST.
2. Two Day: You should get your package by the afternoon of the 2nd business day after we ship it.
3. Standard: You should get your package about 5 business days after it's shipped.
Please note that the above shipping times are estimates and depend on FedEx. We'll ship your order within 2 business days of receiving your order. We only ship on weekdays - Monday through Friday.
I never received my Card Reader. What should I do?
Depending on your shipping option, it may take anywhere between 2 - 5 business days for you to receive your Card Reader. (See How long will it take to arrive?) Please verify that you received an order and shipment confirmation email from us after you placed your order. Check your spam folder if the email is not in your inbox.
If you didn’t receive an email, please contact Eventbrite’s Customer Support Team at 1-800-350-8850 or via email and we’d be happy to assist you in tracking down your order or placing a new order.
If you did receive an email and haven’t seen your Eventbrite Card Reader for over 10 business days since you placed your order, it may be lost in transit. Please contact Eventbrite’s Customer Support Team at 1-800-350-8850 or via email and we’d be happy to help you out.
7) Troubleshooting Tips
If your Eventbrite Card Reader isn't working:
- Force quit Neon. Reopen Neon and process another card transaction.
- Make sure there is a firm connection between the Eventbrite Card Reader and the iPad. This might require taking the case off your iPad, and very carefully cleaning out any dust, lint, etc. that may be trapped inside the power jack of your iPad.
- Clean the Card Reader metal connector carefully and make sure it’s clear of dust, lint, etc. that may be trapped inside.
- Make sure that the Card Reader connector and the inside of the iPad power jack are not corroded. If the power jack on your iPad is corroded, you may need to have it serviced. If the Card Reader connector is corroded and you’re within your warranty period (see Returns and Refunds), please contact Eventbrite’s Customer Support at 1-800-350-8850 or via email and we’ll send you a new Card Reader.
- If you’ve tried all the above with no success, try to completely uninstall the Neon App and reinstall it. If this doesn’t work, then it’s possible your Card Reader may be defective. Please contact Customer Support (see Returns and Refunds) and we’ll send you a new Card Reader.
8) Returns and Refunds
All sales are final and we can only offer refunds for returns made for the following reasons (“Covered Returns”):
If you notify us within 10 days of delivery of your order that any part of it arrived in a damaged condition or was not what you ordered, you can return it for a full refund of the purchase price paid. We’ll also cover shipping on the way back as long as you follow our return process (listed below).
If the purchased equipment is or becomes defective in a manner that is covered by one of our limited hardware warranties during the warranty period, we’ll exchange it under our warranty policy. Again, we’ll cover shipping on the way back as long as you follow our return process (listed below).
What is your warranty policy?
There is a limited hardware warranty for Eventbrite Card Readers purchased from Eventbrite. Please read the warranty policy to see what is covered.
Our return process goes like this:
- 1) Contact Eventbrite’s Customer Support at 1-800-350-8850 or via email for help with troubleshooting any issues.
- 2) If we are not able to resolve the problem and you still wish to make a Covered Return, we’ll email you a return shipping label.
- 3) Repack the card reader in the original packaging (or other sufficiently protective packaging) and affix the return label.
- 4) Drop the card reader package at your local FedEx office or drop box, or arrange a pickup.
- 5) Once we receive the returned item, we’ll ship you a working replacement as soon as we can, as provided in our warranty policy.